Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • About JKNewMedia
  • Subscribe
  • Contact
JKNewsMedia
  • News
    • States News
    • National News
    • International News
    • General News
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Climate Reports
  • Health & Wellness
  • Sports Desk
  • More
    • Faith & Society
    • Women & Society
    • Press Briefings
    • Columns & OP-ED
    • Community Journalism
  • English
  • News
    • States News
    • National News
    • International News
    • General News
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Climate Reports
  • Health & Wellness
  • Sports Desk
  • More
    • Faith & Society
    • Women & Society
    • Press Briefings
    • Columns & OP-ED
    • Community Journalism
  • English
JKNewsMedia
National News
National News

INEC Postpones Voter Revalidation, Denies False Claims Against Chairman

 JKNM JKNMApril 10, 2026 1542 Minutes read0
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink

By Modupe Coker, JKNewsMedia Reporter 

PROPOSED NATIONWIDE voter revalidation exercise has been postponed until after the 2027 General Election following deliberations at a meeting between the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and Resident Electoral Commissioners (RECs) held on Friday, April 10, 2026.

JKNewsMedia.com reports that Mohammed Kudu Haruna, National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, stated in a release dated April 10, 2026, that the exercise remains a critical component of the Commission’s mandate to maintain a credible and up to date National Register of Voters.

He said the process is designed to verify and review existing voter records, ensure the accuracy of personal data, eliminate duplicate and ineligible entries, and strengthen the integrity of the voter register.

He added that it would also provide registered voters the opportunity to confirm their details and make necessary corrections.

The Commission reaffirmed its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible, and inclusive elections.

In a separate statement issued the same day and signed by Adedayo Oketola, Chief Press Secretary and Media Adviser to the INEC Chairman, the Commission addressed what it described as a malicious and coordinated campaign of calumny circulating on social media.

The statement said a false claim alleged that the INEC Chairman, Prof. Joash Amupitan SAN, had previously endorsed a partisan post on X.

The Commission stated that the allegation is entirely baseless, a total fabrication, and a figment of the imagination of its purveyors.

It clarified that the Chairman does not own or operate any personal account on X and has not engaged in partisan commentary or associated with any political leaning in any capacity.

The statement described the circulating post as a desperate attempt to impugn the integrity and neutrality of the Chairman at a critical period when the Commission is focused on electoral reforms and preparations for upcoming polls.

He said the action is a needless distraction aimed at stirring public distrust.

INEC also noted that cybercriminals have been using fake social media accounts in the Chairman’s name to defraud Nigerians.

It stated that several fraudulent accounts have been identified and reported to security agencies, adding that the latest claim follows an existing pattern of criminal activity exploiting the Commission’s profile.

However, INEC said it is working with security agencies and cyber-intelligence units to track and identify those responsible for the identity theft and misinformation.

JKNewsMedia.com reports that the Commission added that those behind the acts will face legal consequences, noting that identity theft and the dissemination of forged social media content are offences under the Cybercrimes Act.

Consequently, the public was urged to disregard the claims, while the Commission stated it will continue to share official information through verified institutional channels and formal press statements. It reiterated its commitment to delivering free, fair, and credible elections.  

—

Do you have a news tip for JKNewsMedia.com? Please email us at jkmediapress@gmail.com.

httpswhatsapp.comchannel0029VbCdfe58aKvR1pbijz3f
Tags
CybercrimeINECNigeria elections
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
National News

JUST IN: FEC Approves N302.3bn Cancer Centre, National Hospital Upgrade Projects

17:37August 20, 2026
National News

Tinubu Orders Five-year Defence Plan, National Threat Assessment  

16:52August 20, 2026
Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Read also
National News

JUST IN: FEC Approves N302.3bn Cancer Centre, National Hospital Upgrade Projects

17:37August 20, 2026
National News

Tinubu Orders Five-year Defence Plan, National Threat Assessment  

16:52August 20, 2026
Health & Wellness

Orange Juice May Help Lower Inflammation And Blood Pressure, Research Suggests 

16:33August 20, 2026
Health & Wellness

What 3,600 Adults With Diabetes Reveal About Lifestyle And Heart Health

15:58August 20, 2026

VIDEO

  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • States News
  • National News
  • Climate Reports
  • Global Diplomacy
  • Health & Wellness
  • Media & Journalism
jk_last_logo

Your Authentic News Platform

Your Authentic News Platform

  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Climate Reports
  • Global Diplomacy
  • Health & Wellness
  • States News
  • National News
  • Media & Journalism
  • Politics
  • Business & Economy
  • Climate Reports
  • Global Diplomacy
  • Health & Wellness
  • States News
  • National News
  • Media & Journalism

© 2025 JKNewsMedia.  Powered By WinNet

  • About JKNewMedia
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Careers
  • Contact

© 2025 JKNewsMedia.  Powered By WinNet

  • About JKNewMedia
  • Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Careers
  • Contact